The Importance of an RV Carbon Monoxide Detector

An rv carbon monoxide detector is an important piece of safety equipment that can save lives. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be very deadly if not detected early. In fact, it is the leading cause of poisoning deaths in America. Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by the partial combustion of solid, liquid, and gas fuels. Carbon Monoxide Detectors work like fire alarms in that they emit a loud, high-pitched, annoying beeping sound when they sense the presence of carbon monoxide. In addition to a beeping noise, most carbon monoxide detectors also have a LED readout display that displays the ppm (parts per million) level of CO. This is very helpful when determining if your RV’s furnace, stove, or other gas-powered appliances are working properly and causing carbon monoxide build-up in the living space of your RV.

Why do you need a carbon monoxide detector in a campervan?

It is important to regularly test your RV’s carbon monoxide detector and replace the batteries when they are nearing their end of life. The best Rv carbon monoxide detector are UL-listed with the Underwriter’s Laboratory seal and will have an expiration date on the back of them. Most RVs will come with a carbon monoxide detector installed, so it is important to check and make sure the batteries are fresh.

If you notice that your RV’s carbon monoxide detector is beeping or chirping, shut off any gas-powered appliances and open windows to clear the air. Immediately call 9-1-1 after getting outside and wait for an emergency response crew to arrive. Remember, RVs are not as well ventilated as homes, so a small leak in an RV can quickly lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.